Sunday, December 7, 2008

About Wesleyazn

Wesleyazn was inspired by our class on Asian American pop culture. After reading about the large impact the Internet has had in defining, questioning, and exploring Asian America, I hoped that Wesleyan students could be apart of this unique form of identity development and interaction.

As an Asian American student at Wesleyan, I have felt a desire to become more involved with Asian American groups on campus and meet and learn from other students. During the past three years here, I have found it difficult to do so, either due to a lack of resources, or a lack of visibility and exposure of certain groups on campus. The lack of an Asian American Studies department at the University has also prevented myself and others from exploring the subject. This continuous struggle for Asian American recognition at the academic level is something I suspect will continue well after I graduate. I hope this site will serve as a space for further discussion on this issue.

It is my hope that this site will serve as a space where student groups and individuals may interact and become informed about what others are doing on campus that may pertain to the Asian American community. I also hope it will function as a forum in which these groups may interact, learn from one another, and be inspired to collaborate. Individuals should feel free to voice their opinions about Asian American studies, current events, and the realities of the Asian American communities at Wesleyan and beyond.

The other objective of this blog is to act as a catalyst for deeper thought into what constitutes Asian America. It is my intention that this site will constantly question and examine the construction of “Asian Americans”, race, culture, identity formation, etc. within mainstream pop culture.

I highly encourage all who visit to contribute, be it in the form of questions, criticism, or updates on current events or sightings of Asian America within the mainstream media.

Thanks for visiting. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so glad you made this!
-mimi